An exciting off-road trail running event in the beautiful grounds of Petworth Park, a National Trust property in West Sussex, took place for the first time on Saturday 30 May 2015. The event offered a range of challenges, including 5km, 10km and Half-Marathon, plus a Kids Run to get the whole family involved.
The Discovery Run has a route for everyone. Each and every participant will be able to discover the great outdoors across undulating terrain, through woodland areas, and around lakes along our picturesque trail routes, with a memorable finish in front of Petworth House.
Not simply a race, the Discovery Run is a day out for the whole family. Featuring a Sports Festival for both participants and spectators where you can ‘discover’ a multitude of activities and take in the atmosphere of the event in front of the magnificent House.
Petworth Park is a stunning 700 acre landscape designed by ‘Capability’ Brown set in the rolling countryside of West Sussex and home to the magnificent Petworth House.This 17th century mansion holds one of the finest collections of art and sculpture in the National Trust shaped by a family of collectors over the past 800 years, with works by Van Dyck, Reynolds, Blake and most significantly Turner, one of the greatest landscape artists who celebrated Petworth Park in his paintings. ‘Below stairs’ the servants’ quarters display the fascinating life through the array of rooms and items that have been preserved. By kind permission of Lord and Lady Egremont, on weekdays there are additional private rooms open in the house to discover.
Outside, explore the gardens of the house known as the Pleasure Grounds, a beautiful area with Doric and Ionic structures nestled amongst the trees. The Park itself contains one of the largest herds of fallow deer in England that have been roaming the undulating terrain for over 500 years and boasts picturesque views over the South Downs and beyond
The Discovery Run is not simply a race – it’s a day out for the whole family. The Sports Festival offers an array of engaging activities and fun sports for both participants and spectators of all ages to enjoy. Situated adjacent the to the start and finish lines, with a backdrop of Petworth House, there is no better place to soak up the atmosphere and discover something new! Take a look at the highlights of the 2015 Sports Festival:
- Visit Balega and Monster, where you can win a pair of specialist Balega running socks, or try out the latest Monster headphones.
- Billingshurst Leisure Centre will be running various activities, competitions and give-aways. Give the hula hoop challenge a go, can you hula hoop for a minute? Or try the ‘SmashUp!’ badminton game and hit the target. For the adults, test yourself with the gym body weight challenges.
- BlueGizmo will be selling ‘The Running Buddy’, an innovative pouch with no belt, no band and no bounce!
- Chichester District Council and charity Children on the Edge will be providing further information on the Chichester Half Marathon, taking place in October.
- Fitjoy will be there to lead runners through the pre-race warm up, and around all day offering free body fat testing.
- The Guildford International Volleyball Club will be setting up a temporary court and running a series of fun sessions for everyone to have a go.
- Specialist running shop, i-Run, based in Chichester, will have a pop-up shop offering a great range of running brands. Get all the expert advice your need from their friendly and knowledgeable staff.
- The Lucozade Fuel To Rule campaign will be present with their sports scientists. They’ll be handing out free Lucozade Sport for all athletes – so don’t miss them on your way to the start line for a boost before your race.
- Perfect Motion Physio and Rise Sports Therapy will be in our Physio Zone. If you are feeling a little twinge before your race, need to relieve a sore muscle after, or want to enjoy a complimentary massage, the team of Physios are there to help with expert advice. Perfect Motion Physio will also be offering a £5 taping service if you need to support any aching muscles before your run.
- Keep an eye out for mascot Perry the Peregrin who will be soaring about on the day and starting the Discovery Fun Run for the kids.
- Petworth House will be open from 11:00. Discover the house with a history stretching from the 12th century with a world famous art collection. Take a peep behind the doors into the historic kitchens and see where the servants would have worked.
- Stoolball England will give you a taster of the intriguing game of “cricket in the air”.
- Westgate Lesiure’s rowing challenge will give you the chance to win a month’s premier+ membership.
Food and Drink
- The Badgers will be bringing you the classic hog roast served in fresh, locally baked baps with homemade stuffing and apple sauce, if desired.
- Taste the speciality Chipstix, a ‘chip spiralled onto a stick’ with a choice of spices, as well as hot dogs.
- Traditional Jacket Potatoes with all your favourite toppings from tuna to cheese and many more.
- Caravanilla will be serving up ice cream from ‘Olive’, the unique vintage caravan. Everything is made with the finest and natural British ingredients to get your taste buds tingling. From flavours like Champagne & Strawberry all the way through to Honey & Ginger, they cater for everyone.
- The unique Coffee Cruiser will be supplying all your hot drink needs with fresh bean to cup coffee’s, gourmet hot chocolate and Yorkshire tea – you won’t miss it!